Sometimes you want a salad but just not the same old lettuce / protein / veggie salad, well that is the way I was feeling but wanted to eat healthy so I just bought some chicken and veggies and roasted the whole lot and it combines to a tasty salad.
Roasted Chicken Veggie Salad
Ingredients for roasting:
- 4 medium beets (washed, place in foil with olive oil, salt and pepper)
- 1 head of cauliflower – chopped into pieces
- 1 large bunch of broccoli – chopped into pieces
- 1 large zucchini- – chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Meyer lemons – cut in half
- 1 lime – cut in half
- 1 package chicken thighs (because that is what I prefer – you can use whatever chicken part you like)
- 1 container of mini heirloom tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- granulated garlic
- sweet paprika
additional salad ingredients: these are what I like but feel free to add your faves.
- 1 jar kalamata olives – drained
- 1 can corn
- 1 jar hearts of palm
- the remaining tomatoes cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees – totally roasting time about 1 hr.
- Line a three of baking sheets with foil – makes cleanup a breeze.
- Place the beet packet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- On one baking sheet place the cauliflower & broccoli, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper – add sheet to oven with the beets and bake together for another 20 minutes.
- On the other baking sheet place the chicken pieces, salt pepper, garlic and paprika on both sides and add to over at the same time as the cauliflower/broccoli sheet to bake.
- On the third baking sheet add 6 to 8 of the tomatoes, zucchini, olive oil, sat and pepper and place the lemon and lime halves cut side up and add to the oven for the final 20 minutes.
- Let pans cool for about 20 minutes and cut chicken, cauliflower and broccoli into bit size pieces. Place in large bowl. Squeeze the lemons, limes and roasted tomatoes over the salad ingredients, toss together. Add the additional salad ingredients and toss together again. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Note: slice the cooked beets and add to plated salad so the entire salad doesn’t turn red.
- And your salad is ready to enjoy.
And your salad is ready to enjoy.