It’s getting to be summer time and that usually means more salads to eat. This Orzo salad with citrus dressing is light, tasty and can be brought to a pool party or picnic without spoilage worries. It can be served as a vegetarian dish or add chicken sausage like I did. Not a fan of the veggies I put in this salad than add the veggies you and your family like best.
Orzo Vegetable Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 1 lime – zest and juice
- 1 Meyer lemon – zest and juice
- 1/2 orange – zest and juice
- 2 garlic cloves – grated
- 1 shallot – grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon – finely chopped
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- while the orzo pasta is cooking combine all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk together
Orzo Veggie Salad Ingredients:
- 1- 12 oz Delallo Orzo
- 1 package baby broccoli
- 1 package chopped cauliflower
- 4 Perisian cucumbers – chopped
- 1 yellow pepper ( or your favorite color) – chopped
- 1 jar Kalamata Olives
- mini heirloom tomatoes – halved
- salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- option: your favorite flavor of chicken sausage – cut into pieces
- Cook orzo per package instructions. When done, drain and rinse in cold water to start the cooling process. Transfer from strainer to large bowl and add about 1/2 cup of the salad dressing so the orzo can start absorbing it.
- In the pot where the orzo was cooked heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil, add the broccoli and cauliflower, salt & pepper and saute for 5 to7 minutes. Remove from pot and add to orzo bowl. Add chopped pepper, cukes, olive and tomatoes. Add additional dressing and toss all together.
- If you are adding the sausage, add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and saute for about 3 to 5 minutes then add to salad.