This spicy beef short rib chili is made in the slow cooker so once assembled you can go on your way. Or make the day before and just reheat in the slow cooker when you need it.
Beef Short Rib Chili / Slow Cooker
- 6 beef short ribs (about 3 1/2 lbs)
- 6 chili de arbols
- 2 chili ancho
- 2 roasted jalapenos (remove skin & seeds- to turn down the heat)
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 2 to 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 15oz cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 4 15oz cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle ground pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 large yellow onion – finely diced
- 1 large shallot – finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (optional)
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves- finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron frying pan.
- Salt and pepper the beef ribs on all sides
- Heat oil to get it really hot in large frying pan.
- Brown the beef ribs on all sides, remove from pan. While the beef ribs are browning put the chili de arbos and ancho chili in the heated oil to soften them up at bit – remove from pan, de-seed and place the chilies in a blender.
- Blender: to the chilies in the blender add the jalapenos, chipotles, 1 can of the tomato sauce, tomato paste. Puree well. Set aside
- Into the same cast iron pan add the onion & shallot, salt and sautee for about 3 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and sautee for another minute or so. Do not burn the garlic!.
- Layer the slow cooker: onion/garlic mixture, browned ribs, black beans, chili mixture from the blender, the dried spices, 3 cans of fire-roasted tomatoes, cilantro and s&p to taste.
- Cook on low for approximately 7 hours. Remove the ribs and cut the meat into bit size pieces and discard the bones.
- Serve with your favorite accoutrements (i.e.: cheese, sour cream, avocados)
- Another way to serve is to hollow out corn bread muffins and put the chili in the muffin…