Because everyone needs more than one chili recipe I decided to make a white chicken chili. Brought it to work for taste testing and it was a huge hit.
White Chicken Chili
- 6 to 10 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1 med red onion – finely chopped
- 1 med yellow onion – finely chopped
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs –
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts –
- 4 shisito peppers – chopped finely + 3 shisito peppers – finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper – roasted, deseeded and deveined
- 1 quart chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder + 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne + 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili peppers flakes + 1/4 teaspoon red chili peppers flakes
- 3 cans green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup defrosted frozen roasted corn
- 4 15.5 oz white kidney beans
- 1/2 15.25oz can corn
- 5 to 7 tablespoon olive oil
- optional toppings: cilantro, sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, raw jalapenos
- In a food processor puree 1 can of kidney beans (not drained) and the 1/2 can corn – set aside to use later.
- Heat the 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large dutch oven. Add chicken and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove from pot, add the remaining olive oil, cook the onions and shisito pepper, lightly salt, add the garlic and cook for another few minutes. While the mixture is cooking cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Add the chicken back into the pot with 1 qt chicken broth, roasted jalapeno, chili powder, cayenne, red chili pepper flakes, 3 cans green chilies, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and simmer for 35 minutes. Add the additional chili powder, cayenne, red chili pepper flakes, 3 drained cans of white kidney beans, roasted corn, and additional 3 shisito peppers. Also add the white bean and corn puree. Stir well and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.