Since I am still having to eat softer foods I decided to make a chili. The surprising ingredients in this chili is kale and broccoli. Great way to sneak in veggies and no one will be able to tell…this is how to make chili a healthy dish. I do not like super hot foods so therefore the amount of chili that is in the recipe can be increased if you prefer “blow your brains out hotness”.
Three Bean Turkey Chili
- 2 cups chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 jalapeno – seed, deveined and chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers – chopped
- 3 dried chili de arbols – chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 package of broccoli/kale slaw mixture – pureed in the food processor (this is about 2 cups of pureed veggies)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 15oz cans fire roasted green chilitomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 15oz can kidney beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can pinto beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can white kidney beans – drained and rinsed
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 of the zested lemon
- sour cream
- Heat two tablespoons olive oil in dutch oven. Add white and red onion, salt & pepper, saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic the onions and continue to saute for another minute.
- Add jalapenos, chipotle and chili de arbol chilis to onion mixture and saute together for 3 minutes.
- Salt and pepper the ground turkey meat and add to onion/chili mixture and cook until the turkey meat is cooked thru – approx. 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add pureed broccoli/kale mixture and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste to pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the pot, cover and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Serve with garnishes of your choice.