It’s a taco, casserole style…easy to eat and even easier to re-heat.
- 2 jalapeno peppers – charred, skinned, deseeded & finely chopped
- 1 large tomato – charred, skinned and cut in small pieces
- 3 dried chile ancho – finely chopped
- 1/2 large onion – finely chopped
- 1 – 12oz package corn tortillas
- 1 lb ground turkey meat
- 1 15.5oz can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili chipotle
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 oz shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 lime: zest and juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- On the stove top roast the jalapeno peppers to char, place in bowl with plastic wrap until cool, remove skin, dreseed and finely chop.
- On the stove top roast the tomato to char, place in bowl with plastic wrap until cool, remove skin and finely chop.
- Heat the tortillas on the stove top, place in kitchen towel to keep warm until need for assembly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet, add chopped onion, jalapenos, chile ancho, lightly salt and saute for 3 minutes (stove on high).
- Salt and pepper the turkey meat and add to the skillet, cook for 3 to 5 minutes, breaking into small chunks. Add the chili chipotle and paprika and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Add tomato paste to the pan and continue to cook for 3 minutes, then add the chopped tomato.
- Add the cumin and coriander to the black beans, and mash a bit with a potato masher and add to pan with peppers and turkey and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the lime zest and juice.
- Spray with non stick spray a 9×12 baking dish.
- cut the warm tortillas in 1/2 and place a layer on the bottom of the baking dish
- layer of the shredded cheese – 1/2
- layer of the turkey mixture and 1/2 cup of the fresh cilantro
- another layer of tortillas
- layer of turkey mixture and 1/2 cup of the fresh cilantro
- layer of the remaining cheese.
- pico del gallo salsa
- fresh chopped cilantro
- sour cream