This is an easy & quick and a spectacular salad. Great for lunch or summer dinner with a glass of chilled white wine.
Summer Tuna Wasabi Salad
- 2 tuna steaks – about 3/4 lb
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped radish
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber
- 3 scallions – white and green parts chopped
- 5 to 6 mini heirloom tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sheets of Nori (sea vegetable) cut into strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste*
- 4 tablespoons wasabi mayo **
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon tamari (separated)
- salt and pepper
- butter lettuce to serve the salad on***
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in cast iron skillet, salt and pepper both sides of the tuna steaks, add to heated oil and cook on side 1 for about 6 minutes, flip tuna add the 1/4 cup of tamari cook for another 6 minutes (note: this will give you tuna steaks that are a bit rare in the center – if you want them more well done just cook each side a few minutes longer). When tuna steaks are done set aside to cool. When tuna has cooled enough to touch cut into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl add the chopped veggies (celery, radish, cuke, tomatoes, scallions) and Nori strips. Add the wasabi mayo, wasabi past and 1 tablespoon of tamari. Add the cut up tuna steak to bowl and mix.
- *wasabi paste: comes in a tube (like tomato paste). Also you can adjust the heat level by adding more or less wasabi paste according to your taste buds. I found the wasabi paste on Amazon.com
- **wasabi mayo: this is mayo has wasabi already in it. I have found that the wasabi might taste strong when the may is first added, however, the flavor rapidly goes away and therefore the paste is necessary to keep the flavor vibrant.
- ***I served this salad on butter lettuce but feel free to use any kind you like or even serve it on room temperature rice.