Beef Stew is terrific for a cold winter’s night dinner. Easy to make in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 lbs lean beef stew meat
- 1 large onion – thinly sliced
- 2 medium shallots – thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 to 5 whole garlic cloves
- 7 carrots – chopped 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 turnips – chopped 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms- sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 7 to 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 14oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 qt beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 bag frozen peas
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add onions and shallots, lightly salt and saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Move onions and shallots to the slow cooker pot.
- Salt and pepper the stew meat, add to cast iron skillet and sear on all sides. This takes about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove meat to slow cooker pot.
- Add the tomato paste to the cast iron skillet and cook for about 3 minutes and then add to slow cooker pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker pot, give the ingredients a stir to combine.
- Cover and set the slow cooker on high for 5 hours. Add the peas to the stew.