So while the rest you are enjoying BBQ ribs, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc…I will be feasting on my skillet eggs. Boy do I wish I could be joining you all with the BBQ but the ongoing dental work requires me to eat very soft food so at least it should be good and tasteful.
- 10 egg
- 1 bunch of swiss chard- chopped finely
- 1/2 large onion – diced
- 1 leek – diced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of roasted poblano pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 4 slices of cooked bacon – diced
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat olive oil in 12″ cast iron (or any oven ready) skillet. When oil is sizzling hot saute the onion and leek, add salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the swiss chard to pan and wilt down. While wilting add the poblano pepper, fresh basil, bacon and of course some more salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and add the water and a bit more salt and pepper. Add the whisked eggs & cheese to the veggies in the skillet, and stir to combine all the ingredients. Let mixture cook on medium on the stove top for 5 to 7 minutes then place the pan in the oven to continue cooking for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack for about 5 minutes to set and enjoy.