This is a beautiful side to my Cranberry Apple Cornish Game Hens, would be great on the side of really any dish or a great vegetarian meal.
This picture is of the risotto with the Cranberry Apple Cornish Game Hens
- 2 leeks cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot – diced
- 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 to 10 oz. shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme – chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano – chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – finely chopped or minced
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan & Romano cheese
- salt and pepper
In a dutch oven heat the olive oil, add the leeks and shallots, lightly salt and saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushroom and saute another 5 minutes, add the garlic & fresh herbs and pepper to taste.
In a separate pot while the leeks and mushrooms are cooking, heat the vegetable broth.
Add the rice to the dutch oven and saute with the veggies for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the heated veggie broth and deglaze the pot. Reduce the heat to medium. Slowly add the remaining hot broth to the rice pot 1/2 cup at a time, continually stirring so the rice absorbs all the liquid. It is important to continually stir this – think of it as a mini arm workout.
After the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done, add the butter and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and you are ready to serve.