Everyone loves a good soup when the evenings are getting a bit brisk…this is one that if you like seafood you will enjoy this soup.
Seafood Soup with Orzo
- 1 large yellow onion – finely diced
- 1 large carrot – finely diced
- 1/2 c finely diced daikon (if you can’t find a daikon I would substitute with radishes)
- 1 leek – cleaned and diced
- 1 teaspoon dry basil + 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme + 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 4 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 12 oz Delallo gluten free orzo
- 1/2 lb fresh squid (body cut into rounds) **
- 1/4 lb fresh scallops – cut into quarters
- 1 fresh rockfish fillet – cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 lb fresh shrimp – deveined and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup pinot grigio
- 1 quart vegetable broth + extra in case needed
- 2 – 8ox bottles clam juice
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In dutch oven heat olive oil, add onion, carrot, daikon, garlic and leek, lightly salt and sauté for about 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup wine. Add dry orzo and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon basil and thyme, 1 bottle of clam juice and vegetable broth. Cook for approx. 11 minutes.
- Add fish, bay leaf,additional teaspoon for basil & thyme, 2nd bottle of claim juice,decide if you need to add more stock, salt & pepper to taste and simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
- **note: you can use any combination of fish you like.