It’s cold and rainy so why not make a warming and very healthy soup.
Roasted Carrot, Ginger & Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 lbs carrots – chopped into 1 inch piece (not peeled)
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 1/2 white onions – halved
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3″ fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 quart vegetable broth (if you want a thinner soup you can add additional broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a baking sheet put the chopped carrots, onions, sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper; and the sweet potatoes that have been slit with a knife. Cut the top off the head of garlic, place on piece of aluminum foil with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper – wrap up bulb and place on baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes. Remove the carrots, onions and garlic and continue to cook the sweet potatoes for another 15 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes continue cooking put the roasted carrots, onions and garlic into a blender with 1/2 quart of vegetable broth to puree. Add the puree to a dutch oven, smash the cooked sweet potatoes and add to pot along with the remaining quart of vegetable stock, grated ginger, basil, & paprika. Stir well to combine and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.