I know that everyone is into posting healthy meals to start the New Year off on a healthy note, but you might be looking for that delicious creamy mac and cheese that has a kick to it. It is easy to make and does not require any baking.
Ooey Gooey Spicy Mac and Cheese
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove – whole
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Pamela’s Gluten Free flour
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk + 1/2 cup
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded light mozzarella
- 12 oz sharp yellow cheddar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 16oz bag brown rice penne (or any macaroni you want) cooked to just al dente
- 2 cups of pasta water reserved – to be added 1/2 cup at a time
- In a large dutch oven heat the olive oil and butter with the whole garlic clove. Add the chopped onion, salt and pepper and saute for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the garlic clove. Add the flour and 1 cup of the almond milk to create a roux, cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cheeses, white pepper, salt to taste. Add the 1/2 cup of almond milk and 1/2 cup of the pasta water at a time until the sauce is the ooey gooey consistency you like. Simmer all the ingredients together until cheese is all melted and hot.