I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like a good latke. In fact it was missing since I have been gluten free but now there is Gluten Free Matzo Meal. So I decided I needed to make some, but I am not big on grating for days (I like the skin to stay on my knuckles and the polish to remain on my nails). This recipe makes it painless to get great tasting potato pancakes in not too much time.
No tears, No scraped fingers, No Gluten Latkes (aka potato pancakes)
- 3 medium russet potatoes: skin on and shredded in the food processor*
- 1 small onion pureed in the food processor
- 1/2 cup Gluten free matza meal
- 2 heaping teaspoons and 1/2 teaspoon salt separated
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 3 tablespoon olive oil for frying
- *place the shredded potatoes in a dish towel lined strain with 2 heaping teaspoons of Kosher salt to draw out the excess water. Let sit on counter for about 15 minutes with the potatoes wrapped tightly in the dish towel. Then squeeze the excess liquid out.
- Place the drained shredded potatoes in a large bowl with the pureed onion, add the 1/2 teaspoon of salt, granulated garlic, pepper, paprika and the beaten eggs. Mix all the ingredients together.
- In a large non-stick frying pan heat up 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add potato mixture pancakes to the heated oil and fry on each side for 2 to 3 minutes…until golden brown and cooked thru. You can use a 1/4 measure to make a nice size pancake or make whatever size you prefer. Repeat until all pancakes are made.
- Place cooked pancakes on a paper towel to drain what little oil there is. You can keep the pancakes warm in a 200 heated oven.
- Serve with apple sauce** and sour cream. Add chopped chives if desired.
- ** see my recipe for Apple Sauce