Before I left Hawaii I did another trip to Whole Foods and saw the largest Meyer lemons (see picture below) that had a green peel so I just had to buy them, then came upon fresh sausages that were chicken lemon & kale and I decided to marry this all together. It is an easy, healthy and oh so yummy dish.
Chicken Sausage Rice Meyer Lemon Sauce
Ingredients (for the rice):
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 garlic clove
- pinch of Kosher salt
- add rice, water and garlic clove in a pan and cook per package instructions. Remove garlic clove when rice is done.
For the sausage veggie mixture:
- 4 – chicken lemon kale sausage (casing removed)
- 2/3 cup meyer lemon juice and zest of the lemons
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon – finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives – finely chopped
- 1 bunch kale – chopped
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus – cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion – finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – grated or finely chopped
- 3 – 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Kosher salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Saute the red onion for 3 to 4 minutes, add the chopped garlic and saute for 1 additional minute. Add the chicken sausage meat to the pan and cook until cooked thru, then add the kale and asparagus, lightly salt and pepper, and cook until the kale is wilted. Add the tarragon and chives, lemon juice, zest and lots of black pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly, add rice and combine all together.
- I served it with a side of cherry tomatoes that was a great paring of sweet with the lemon.
Hawaii Meyer Lemons