The holidays are over and you are looking for an easy meal that you can put together in the slow cooker and then relax for the rest of the day – well here you go.
Chicken Red Beans Slow Cooker Meal
- 1 cup dried Kidney beans – soaked in water over night
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 1 large onion – diced
- 2 large shallots – diced
- 12 oz Applewood Smoked Bacon cut into lardons
- 6 garlic cloves – minced
- 10 oz crimini mushrooms – sliced
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leafs
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- bag Tuscan Kale
- Drain beans from water and place in slow cooker pot.
- Place bacon in a cold cast iron skillet, set heat to high and render the fat out of the lardons. Remove cooked lardons from pan and drain on a paper towel.
- In the bacon grease cook the onion and shallots – about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place the cooked bacon, onions and shallots into the slow cooker pot. Add the mushrooms, spices, herbs and garlic to the pot.
- Salt and Pepper the chicken and brown in the cast iron skillet on both side. Add the browned chicken to the pot. Add the vegetable broth to the pot.
- Cover and cook on high for about 5 hours. Remove thyme sprigs, add in kale to wilt.