This soup is healthy, nutritious, filling and just so very flavorful.
Chicken, Lentil & Greens Soup
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs – cut into bite size pieces
- 1 sweet yellow onion – diced
- 2 medium shallots – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – finely minced
- 2 quarts low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 1lb bag mixed greens: mustard / turnip / collards / spinach mix
- 1 9oz bag snow peas – stings removed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 15oz can garbanzo beans – drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- In a dutch oven heat the olive oil. Salt and pepper the chicken pieces, add to hot oil, sauté for 10 to 15 minutes (so chicken get color but it is not cooked completely).
- Remove chicken from pot, add onions and shallots, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Add 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth to deglaze the pot.
- Add the balance of 1 of the quarts of vegetable broth and sautéed chicken and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the 2nd quart of vegetable broth, garbanzo beans and greens. Stir the mixture to combine and simmer for about 15 minutes to wilt the greens.
- Taste the soup to see if you need to add salt and pepper.