It’s almost time for Super Bowl – the teams are getting ready to score big and you are now planning the Super Bowl Party Menu and you can also score big with this Chicken Chorizo and Black Been Chili as it is a huge winner.
Chicken Chorizo Sausage and Black Bean Chili
- 1.5 lb (5 sausages) Chicken chorizo sausages (I found that Whole Foods makes chicken chorizo sausages but if you want you could use pork) – meat removed from casings
- 1 large white onion – diced
- 1 large shallot – diced
- 1 red pepper – diced
- 1 orange pepper – diced
- 2 jalapenos – seeded and deveined – finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1 dried chili ancho – stem removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 – 15 oz cans black beans – rinsed and drained
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron dutch oven, add the chorizo, crumble and cook about 3/4 the way thru. Add the onion, shallot, peppers to pot, lightly salt and pepper, saute for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic, saute for another 3minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients, stir to combine and simmer on low for 1 hour. Taste then salt and pepper to taste, remove bay leave and you are ready to serve.
- Don’t forget the garnishes: which could be cheese, avocado, cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream, tortilla chips.