This is an easy risotto to make for a brunch or even a lunch or dinner. And boy is it flavorful.
Bacon / Leek Risotto with eggs
- 12 oz (1 package) Applewood Smoked Bacon – cut into lardons
- 1 leeks – cleaned and chopped
- 2 large shallots – chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves – chopped
- 2 cups Arborio Rice
- 1 quart Vegetable Broth – heated up
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Parm cheese
- salt and pepper
- eggs ** see note
- fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Put bacon in cold cast iron pot and put heat on high. Cook bacon until fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy (note: placing the bacon in a cold pan helps the rendering of the bacon fat without burning the bacon). Remove cooked bacon from pot and drain on paper towels.
- Add the chopped leeks and shallots to the bacon grease, salt and pepper to taste and saute for 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the Arborio rice to pan and toast on a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup of the heated veggie broth and deglaze the pot. Let the rice absorb the broth and repeat adding the broth about 1/2 to 3/4 cup at a time, continually stirring with a wooden spoon (found it works best for this recipe) until all the veggie broth is absorbed (about 20 minutes). The rice should be cooked to al dente (not mushy).
- Add the butter and parm cheese and the cooked bacon back into the pot. Combine all together. Place on serving platter and top with eggs or you can plate individually from the stove.
- **Note: eggs: I like poached eggs on top of the risotto, however not a fan of making them, so I find that you can bake the eggs in muffin pans at 350 for about 15 minutes fab eggs. Be sure to spray the muffin pan with cooking spray before adding the eggs to keep them from sticking.