I love a good salad, especially on a hot summer day. This salad has a bit of prep work but it is so worth it….It is fresh with just a bit of spice. And don’t forget you can change any of the ingredients for your taste palate. Feeding vegetarians: you can put the steak on the side or not include it at all.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 limes – zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili chipotle ground
- 5 cloves of roasted garlic (roast garlic cloves in aluminum foil with salt, pepper and olive oil @ 400 for 1/2 hour)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
put all the ingredients into a blender and combine.
Steak Salad Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb skirt steak: coated with: 1/2 teaspoon chili chipotle ground, 1/2 Kosher salt, 1/4 pepper – let steak rest to get to room temp for about 1/2 hr. Add 1 tablespoon to steak just before cooking.
Cook steak in cast iron skillet 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Let rest and slice in strips for salad
My choice of veggies is as follows, but you can use what ever you prefer
- 1 or 2 roasted beets (roast the beet in aluminum foil with salt, pepper, and olive oil @ 400 for 45 minutes)
- 1 15 oz can drained and rinsed black beans seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon dried cumin and 1/4 teaspoon dried coriander)
- 1 small bunch of asparagus (blanched and cooled down)
- 1 cup frozen roasted corn
- 2 radishes – finely chopped
- 3 baby peppers – finely chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber – chopped
- your choice of lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped jicama
- 1 avocado – sliced
- tomatoes – your choice
additional salad options that can be added:
- cheese (I used the Mexican cheese mix but really any cheese could work)
In a large salad bowl add the prepped veggies, sliced steak and add the salad dressing.